Friday, July 25, 2014

7-24 Arizona to NM

We drove through Petrified Forest National Park first thing in the morning. We went to the visitor center and learned that this area was once a forest and wet swamps. We stopped at some scenic lookouts, saw lots of petrified wood, big and small, and the site of a Puebloan village from about 900 years ago. 

By the village ruins...
Petroglyphs...
The Painted Desert...

The boys did not find this park terribly exciting. Karl turned to me as we were in the visitor center and said,  "Mom, I want to go home." I think we are all feeling ready to go home now. 

We drove the rest of the day, across New Mexico. Outside of Albuquerque we stopped in a western mercantile and got the boys belts to go with their silver belt buckles. In the car, they read books most of the day. We stayed at a motel in Tucumcari, NM. Dinner was a bucket of KFC and a bottle of wine from a convenience store. Hey, we were tired and it was all we could find... 

1 comment:

  1. Keep heading northeast! I'm ready to have you home again too! I've missed you a lot!

    ReplyDelete